We should be talking about this…What is your plan in a crisis situation?
Watching the hurricane disaster in Houston and now in my own “backyard”, really confirms how important it is to have a plan and to make “preparations”.
For me, I had the opportunity, when I was young, to learn from others about being “ready”, and now with the internet, it is easier than ever. You can learn about almost any topic online and watch YouTube tutorials, etc.
When we were raising our children in snow country, it was considered a normal activity to put up the harvest for the winter and prepare for the probable loss of conveniences.
I learned how to prepare, but I didn’t consider myself a “Prepper”.
Being prepared should just be a normal life activity.
It all starts with a plan.
How true it is that not having a plan is a plan to fail.
Hurricane Matthew last year was a helpful reality check for me, I had never experience a hurricane. It was a great teacher! After you pass through a real emergency, you really know what you need to do better.
So I learned more through the experience and I am better prepared this time….I think. 🙂
There is always something that can be improved upon!
Preparation considerations overview:
Here is my short list:
- Make a plan… ahead of time. There are great planning templates on line to choose from to help you customize what will be best for your scenario. There are templates for families and/or businesses to get you started.
- Figure out how you would live without a mobile phone or GPS maps (learn to use a map). What will be your plan for communication with your family? Set up an out-of-town contact point person so that members of your group can call if your local circuits are busy or unavailable.
- Make a supplies checkoff list online AND print it out.
- Practice the plan (live a weekend at home without the modern conveniences and also practice your evacuation plan) and know how to use the tools and equipment. (ie…how to start a fire, how to use a camp stove, how to install a wick for your oil lamp, how to set up a tent and rainfly…you get the picture.)
- Water, Water, Water…How much will you need? Learn how to store it safely. Invest in a water filter that doesn’t require electricity. If you use large barrels, have a pump, or buckets to draw the water out.
- Gather a few friends and neighbors and talk about preparing. Build alliances and collaborate. We are better together.
Because of my work as a food educator, I was looking for high quality storage food that I could have on hand for myself AND also that I felt good about recommending. It was really hard finding food that I would want to eat myself. I am so accustom to growing some of my own food because the produce in the grocery store is so “old” already and contaminated with chemicals. I was REALLY PICKY about making an investment in storage type foods!
After much disappointment, I am happy and grateful to report that I found a company that truly shares my values and has a proven track record of working hard to stay on top of this challenge to provide clean, healthy food that’s ready when you need it.
This is high quality food that you will have no problem eating even when there is NO disaster.
They also have the “Simple Plate” meals that are ready in 20 minutes for people who don’t have time to shop and chop. They deliver right to your door and ready when you need it.
The food is not only healthy and non-GMO but also absolutely delicious! Frankly, I was shocked at how delicious it was. The freeze dried process is way superior to dehydrated foods and the taste proves that!
I know I am not the only one who needs “convenience food” when I am busy or especially when I am traveling… I love taking this food along with me and not having to grab some toxic food-like substance because there is no other choice. It is light as a feather and all I need is water, or I can just eat it right out of the package.
To learn more and get some to try for yourself, go to:
Sign up and you are a member for life with no annual membership fees and there are easy options to waive your initial account set up! That’s what I did. No minimum order required unless you want free shipping, and who doesn’t want free shipping?
Ask me how to get food for free by just inviting some friends and have your own tasting.